Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia Library
Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia Library, the library began operating in 1993, when UTHM was known as Pusat Latihan Staf Politeknik (PLSP). With a collection of 5,000 copies of book inherited from the Politeknik Batu Pahat, the PLSP Library occupied a small two-storey building that could accommodate about 120 users. Its mission was to support academic staff and students in teaching and research.
To accommodate the increasing number of users, the library building has been extended to provide more reading area in year 2000. The extension has increased the floor space for reading to 200 seats. With the opening of a branch library at the Town Campus in 2004, and B5 Library (above the Bursary Office) in 2006, the seating capacity has been increased to 500 seats.
In May 2010, UTHM Library has moved to a new building which has 16,000 square meters of floor area. It can accommodate as many as 300,000 volumes of books and 3,000 users. It provides a spacious and condusive learning environment. It has 118 carrel rooms, 40 discussion rooms, 2 seminar rooms, a post graduate research room, an auditorium, a closed reference room, a journal room and 2 twenty-four hours reading room.
The development of library collection in various fields of study, especially in science and technology, has been intensified to support academic activities. Currently the library has acquired more than 230,000 copies of books, 15,000 titles of thesis and 25,000 items of audio-visual materials. The library has also subscribed 24 package of databases, e-books and 170 title of e-journals.
The library automation was initiated in 1997 to provide better and faster services. Currently, the library is using SirsiDynix Symphony to manage its operations, automate tasks and improve staff productivity.
Aspires to be a dynamic knowledge gateway
To provide and disseminate quality information resources to fulfill academic needs and intellectual development through effective management based-on tawheed.
- To acquire reference materials that fulfill academic requirement of the university.
- To index library materials according to the international standard.
- To develop the library as a centre of scholarly materials of the university.
- To provide a user-friendly, efficient and effective counter service.
- To assist user in getting required information for learning, teaching and research activities.
- To provide an informative, accurate and latest publication to promote library facilities and services.
- To guide and train user effectively in order to optimize the use of library facilities and services.
- To register and update the membership record efficiently.
- To arrange the library collection systematically in order to make it easily accessible to the user.
10.To provide and support the use of information technology in library management and services effectively.
11.To inculcate a knowledge culture among the university community and surrounding society.