Universiti Teknologi Malaysia History

By | March 2, 2018


Universiti Teknologi Malaysia History

Universiti Teknologi Malaysia History,below is Universiti Teknologi Malaysia History
 

History

The now 100 years of technical education in Malaysia started as a technical studies class in 1904 housed in the City Hall of Kuala Lumpur.
In 1906, it was turned to Technical School operating at Sekolah Melayu Batu Lane, before moving to the muzium building at Bukit Nenas.
In 1925, a new technical school was formed at Jalan Brickfields under the management of the Public Works Department and the Railway Department. It was later joined by the Survey Department.
The school was moved in 1930 to Jalan Bandar (formely known as High Street)
In 1941 the government agreed to elevate its status to a Technical College but the decision was implemented only in 1946 with the birth of the Technical College in Kuala Lumpur.
The New Technical College at Gurney Road (now Jalan Semarak) was built and started operating in 1955.
A University-status was later renamed as Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) on 1 April 1975. The administration and governance of the university was then coporatised from 15 March 1998. On the 28 August 1999, the honourable Prime Minister, YAB Tun Dr. mahathir Mohamed launched the university theme known as ‘Discovery University’.
UTM currently has a main campus and a branch campus. The main campus covers area of 1,177 hectares in Skudai, Johor. The branch campus is located at Jalan Semarak, Kuala Lumpur which occupies an area of 18 hectares.
On 29 April 2003 the Chancellor of UTM, Her Majesty Sultanah Zanariah Binti Almarhum Tunku Ahmad, the Sultanah of Johor proclaimed the branch campus UTM at Jalan Semarak known as the UTM City Campus Kuala Lumpur.