Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
Universiti Malaysia Terengganu, It was formerly known as the University College of Terengganu (Kolej Universiti Terengganu, KUT) in 1999. The founding of the university can be traced back to 1979 when the Centre for Fisheries and Marine Science was founded in Mengabang Telipot, Terengganu. Over the years the centre moved on from its original role and diversified to become the centre for maritime and oceanography research and development. It was later renamed University Putra Malaysia Terengganu (UPMT). The Incorporation Order of KUT (Perbadanan) 1999 (PUA 292) was passed by the Parliament on 27 July 1999, enabling the inception of KUT.
The Malaysian government agreed to rename KUSTEM to Universiti Malaysia Terengganu in 2007. The name change was made because the term ‘university college’ (Kolej Universiti) tends to give a negative impression that the institution is of lower standard as compared to other universities.
Become an institution of generating, disseminating and applying innovative knowledge as well as catalyst for progressive human development and sustainable environment.
To accelerate the field of science, technology and natural resource management through the generation of excellent research and research programs towards human development that guarantees the preservation of religion, race and nation
- Support university missions to be the premier learning and research center in contributing to human progress and exploration of knowledge as well as to the creation of wealth and development of the nation.
- Providing trained workforce with high professional skills and strengthened with self discipline and forming positive characteristics and positive work ethics.
- Produce graduates who are sensitive to the idea of management and responsiveness to current changes as well as role-models to students and communities.
- Serving through the dissemination of new ideas and practices as well as finding solutions to current problems in society.
- Establish relationships between universities, other institutions, and industries for the sake of mutual benefit and national development.
- Support the university’s mission to become an organized research and learning center while providing good service and exploration in new technologies.
- Explore all sciences in all fields related to Science, Technology, and Natural Resource Management through research.
- Provides up-to-date facilities (laboratories, libraries, computing and environments) to support the development of knowledge, learning and scholarship.
- Offer excellent academic programs to meet current and future needs.
- Produce graduates who are responsible, knowledgeable, confident and competent.
- To play an active role in social, economic and educational development through expansion services to local communities and the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia and in general.
Starting in 2015, all faculties changed their name to school:
- School of Fundamental Sciences (PPSA)
- School of Informatics & Applied Mathematics (PPIMG)
- School of Marine & Environmental Sciences (PPSMS)
- School of Fisheries & Aquaculture Sciences (PPSPA)
- School of Food Science & Technology (PPSTM)
- School of Maritime Business & Management (PPPPM)
- School of Ocean Engineering (PPKK)
- School of Social & Economic Development (PPPSE)