Universiti Malaya Skin Specialist
Universiti Malaya Skin Specialist, UM Specialist Centre (UMSC) is a tertiary medical centre with specialist services located along Jalan Universiti, Petaling Jaya. It is adjacent to the largest teaching hospital in Malaysia, University of Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) and the oldest Faculty of Medicine founded in 1905. UMSC is part of an integrated regional healthcare hub with UMMC, The Faculty of Medicine and The Faculty of Dentistry
1. Unit Description
The Division of Dermatology of the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) provides services to cater for patients suffering from skin disorders. This includes skin consultations and procedures given to ward inpatients and outpatients. The Division is also active in the area of Dermatology research and dedicates itself to impart Dermatology knowledge to the undergraduate and postgraduate students in the faculty.
Type of services offered:
The Division of Dermatology provides inpatient care in Ward 11U, Menara Utama, UMMC for patients with conditions such as Toxic epidermal necrolysis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Drug hypersensitivity syndrome, Erythroderma, Blistering disorders and inflammatory dermatoses including eczema and psoriasis. We also accept referrals from both inter- and intradepartmental referrals for skin conditions.
2. General Dermatology Clinic
Clinic/ Patient Consultations :-
We provide outpatient services for patients who are referred from the government clinics, private general practitioners and other departments within the hospital. Our nursing staff also provide comprehensive counselling for patients with psoriasis and eczema. The General Dermatology Clinic is located at Medical Clinic 3 (Klinik Perubatan 3), Level 1, Menara Utama.
Every Tuesday and Friday 8.30 am â€“ 12.30pm
3. Procedure Clinic
The Procedure Clinic is located at Medical Clinic 2 (Klinik Perubatan 2), Level 1, Menara Utama. Appointments are available for patients who are referred from the government clinics, private general practitioners and other departments within the hospital and from the General Dermatology Clinic. Our services during this clinic session include:
- Intralesional injections
- Application of trichloroacetic acid
- Application of podophyllin
- Intense pulsed light (IPL)
Every Thursday 2.00pm â€“ 4.30pm
4. Patch Test Clinic
Patch test services using the European Standard series are available on a monthly basis for patients with possible allergic contact dermatitis. Patients require assessment in the General Dermatology Clinic by our clinicians prior to listing for this service.
Medical Clinic 1 (Klinik Perubatan 1), Level 1, Menara Utama, UMMC
Monday, Wednesday and Friday (appointments are made after consultation with Division of Dermatology doctors)
5. Phototherapy Clinic
Phototherapy clinic sessions are tailored to patient’s specific needs depending on the severity of their skin condition. Examples (non-exhaustive list) of skin conditions that can be treated with phototherapy include eczema, psoriasis, vitiligo and cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Patients will need to be assessed in the General Dermatology Clinic by our clinicians prior to listing for this service.
6. Dermatological Surgery and Mohs micrographic surgery
We assess and manage a variety of skin lesions requiring surgical intervention including lumps and bumps, discolourations and skin cancers. Patients listed for surgery should be evaluated in the General Dermatology Clinic prior to booking of an appointment for the procedure. Services available on an appointment basis include:
- Excisional and incisional skin biopsies
- Curettage/cut and cautery
- Nail biopsies
- Mohs micrographic surgery
Bilik Prosedur Khas, Level 1, Menara Utama, UMMC
Thursday 9.30 am â€“ 12.30pm
The Division of Dermatology is active in research in the field of Dermatology and we are open to participation in national and international trials. We also supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students who are interested in pursuing projects related to our field. Our researchers have presented award-winning papers at national and international conferences, produced publications in various dermatological journals and are acting as current peer reviewers within the field.
Among the research articles published:-
- Ch’ng CC, Wong SM, Lee YY, Pailoor J. A 7ÂYear Review of Skin Cancer: University Malaya Medical Centre Experience. Malaysian Journal of Dermatology. 2012;29:16Â22.
- Kwan Z, Che Ismail RB, Wong SM, Tan LL, Robinson S, Lim KS. Sodium valproate-aggravated psoriasisform eruption. Int J Dermatol 2014; 53(10):e477-9. doi: 10.1111/ijd.12579. Epub 2014 Sep 10.
- Ch’ng CC, Pruritic Eruption On The Chest.J Fam Pract. 2014 November;63(11):677Â679.
- Kwan Z, Pailoor J, Tan LL, Robinson S, Wong SM, Ismail R. Leprosy â€“ An imported disease. Lepr Rev 2014;85:170-6.
- Kwan Z, Lai YN, Ch’ng CC, Tan AH, Tan LL, Robinson S, Rokiah I. The Association Between Bullous Pemphigoid and Neurological Disorders in A Selected Malaysian Population. Med J Malaysia. 2015 Apr;70(2):81Â5.
- Ch’ng CC, Johar A. Clinical characteristics of patients with lower limb cellulitis and antibiotic usage in Hospital Kuala Lumpur: a 7Âyear retrospective study. Int J Dermatol. 2015 Aug 14. doi: 10.1111/ijd.12850. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kwan Z, Yeoh CA, Mohd Affandi A, Alias FA, Hamid M, Baharum N, Yong ASW, Baba R. Causes of mortality in patients with psoriasis in Malaysia â€“ Evidence from the Malaysian Psoriasis Registry. Med J Malaysia 2015;70(5):273-7.
- Kwan Z, Wong SM, Robinson S, Tan LL, Looi LM, Ismail R. Blue legs in a 60-year-old gentleman. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2015;44(12):577-9.
- Dr. Ch’ng Chin Chwen
- Dr. Adrian Yong Sze Wai
- Dr. Kwan Zhenli
- Dr. Tan Leng Leng