Universiti Malaya Geology
Universiti Malaya Geology, department of Geology is the oldest geology department in the country. It was founded in Singapore in 1956 and relocated to The Kuala Lumpur Campus in 1960. From its modest beginning with only 4 academic staff and 2 final-year students in 1962, the Department has expanded and evolved into a multidisciplinary department, committed to the development of academic excellence in teaching and research.
The Department has been actively engaged in postgraduate research. Currently we have more than 15 local and foreign postgraduate students. The field of research being pursued ranges from fundamental geology to more applied fields such as geophysics, geochemistry, hydrology and petroleum geology.
In line with the Department’s pursuit of educational excellence, the facilities are continuously being upgraded. In 1998, a new wing was built to house new laboratories and lecturer offices. We have a library with a comprehensive collection of geological books, and a range of modern and sophisticated equipment to aid in our teaching, research and consultancy work. The Department also houses a Geological Museum showcasing diverse collection of geological items ranging from common rocks and fossils found in Malaysia to rarely found tektites and replicas of skulls.
The Department is also the hub for the exchange, discussion and dissemination of geological knowledge in the country and the region. It houses the Secretariat of the Geological Society of Malaysia (GSM) and Institute Geology Malaysia (IGM). GSM is a body that actively organizes workshops, seminars, conferences and fieldworks to promote geology both regionally and internationally while IGM is formed to improve the professional practice of geology.
Through the academic staff and alumni, the Department have established a good rapport with the petroleum, mining and engineering industries as well as with other universities (local and foreign), relevant government bodies such as the Mineral and Geoscience Department of Malaysia and international agencies like UNESCO. Apart from excellent career opportunities for our graduates, these efforts and contacts have opened up avenues for joint research, funding, industrial training and consultancy work for our staff and students.
The Faculty of Science is among the oldest and most accomplished faculties in the University. Established in 1959 with 4 departments, Department of Botany, Department of Chemistry, Department of Mathematics and Department of Zoology; currently the Faculty of Science is the biggest faculty in University of Malaya with nearly 3000 undergraduate students, 900 postgraduate students, 220 academic staffs and 250 support staffs.
In addition to functioning as a teaching centre, the Faculty of Science, staffed with locally and internationally feted researchers, serves as the main research centre for Science & Technology in the region. The faculty also manages its very own online scientific journal, the “Malaysian Journal of Science”.
- To produce science scholars and develop the potential of students who can contribute to society through holistic teaching and learning and research excellence
- To become a center of excellence and a leading reference in teaching and learning and research in science fields.
Faculty of Science
University of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-7967 4222
Tel: +603-7967 4277 / 4379
Fax: +603-7967 4376
Tel: +603-7967 4083 / 6716
Fax: +603-7967 4376
Research Unit :
Tel: +603-7967 4201
Fax: +603-7956 6343